On-line Help: Arial v. Times New Roman

Subject: On-line Help: Arial v. Times New Roman
From: Jonathon Irvine <jirvine -at- CCH -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 15:26:03 +1100

Further to Ron Rhodes question about serif/sans serif fonts and online
display...

A year or so ago I did a screen design course run by the local leading
light in screen design, usability and the like. Before this course I had
presumed that using sans serif for online display was a given, due to
the veritable, and well documented, plethora of readability and
resolution problems with serif fonts.

These people know their stuff, however their course notes said something
like "of course, always use serif fonts like Times". I questioned this,
simply out of curiosity that maybe the collective wisdom had shifted and
I had missed it. They found my argument about sans serif "quaint",
indeed it was the first they had heard of it.

So, does the serif/sans serif argument, developed, I hazard, during the
days of monochrome low res screens still hold in these 1024x768 days?

jon

Jon Irvine
Senior technical writer
CCH Australia Limited