Re: Native English Speaking Requirement

Subject: Re: Native English Speaking Requirement
From: Sabahat Ashraf <sabahat_ashraf -at- MENTORG -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 13:54:43 EDT

On Sep 11, 1:18pm, Kenny Cherry wrote:
> Subject: Re: Native English Speaking Requirement
> Seems to me that your examples are of Native English speakers/users. =
> Maybe not Native Americans or Native Britains, but native speakers =
> nonetheless.

Why thank you! But no, thank you. I maintain that I fall into the chapter of
"Encyclopedia of World People" [or whatever it is called] that is titled "Urdu
Speaking Peoples of North India and Pakistan". My ethnic group must be one of
very, very few in the world that uses *only* a language to identify it. For
clarification, English people are English, not English-speaking. Japanese
people are Japanese [from Japan] not Japanese-speaking [in fact, a lot of
people from Hokkaido might be Japanese legally, but hate you for calling them
Japanese linguistically.

And the South Indian folks I was talking about are definitely "Native Speakers"
of Tamil, Malayalam, Telegu and the like.

And at about that point the discussion is in danger of becoming political, as
our Canadian friends will tell you, so let's get back to the topic:

This is I agree with you that I myself *can* be considered a native speaker of
English. But take a look at my CV/Resume/Biodate [Born in Nigeria, High School
and Engineering School in Pakistan] and tell me honestly: would *any*one
consider me a Native English speaker if I applied for one of the jobs posted
here?

Sabahat.

PS It might interest you to know that I used to quote my GRE score on my resume
till I had some North American experience on it.

--
Sabahat_Ashraf -at- MentorG -dot- com