Re: Time

Subject: Re: Time
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 10:23:41 -0500

> "Universal Time Coordinated (UTC) is the world-wide scientific standard
> of timekeeping. It is based upon carefully maintained atomic clocks and
> is kept accurate to within microseconds. The addition or subtraction of
> leap seconds, as necessary, at two opportunities every year keeps UTC in
> step with Earth's rotation. Being the most precise worldwide time
> system, it is used by astronomers, navigators, the Deep Space Network
> (DSN), and other scientific disciplines.

Which is a good thing to use if you happen to work for the Deep Space
Network, but is it the best way to give your business hours?

I like the idea of using "Central Standard Time" if most of your
customers are in this hemisphere, and Greenwich Mean Time (or whatever
the EC is calling that now) if you have many European customers. Or why
not use both? "Our business hours are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm US Central
Standard Time (1700 to 2500 Greenwich Mean Time)"

(yes, I know my GMT example is wrong, but you get the idea)

Tracy
whose schedule is not accurate to within microseconds