Re: Time

Subject: Re: Time
From: "Wing, Michael J" <mjwing -at- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 10:15:01 -0500

When I worked in the telecommunication and satellite communications
timing industry (atomic clocks, satellite timing receivers, and so
forth), we used UTC (Universal Coordinated Time).

Following text lifted from a NASA site.

"Universal Time Coordinated (UTC) is the world-wide scientific standard
of timekeeping. It is based upon carefully maintained atomic clocks and
is kept accurate to within microseconds. The addition or subtraction of
leap seconds, as necessary, at two opportunities every year keeps UTC in
step with Earth's rotation. Being the most precise worldwide time
system, it is used by astronomers, navigators, the Deep Space Network
(DSN), and other scientific disciplines. Its reference point is
Greenwich, England: when it is midnight there on Earth's prime meridian,
it is midnight (00:00:00.000000) UTC."

Mike Wing

Michael Wing (mailto:mjwing -at- ingr -dot- com)
Principal Technical Writer
Intergraph Corporation; Huntsville, Alabama
http://www.ingr.com/iss/products/mapping/
(205) 730-7250

"But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good"
-- Paul (1 TH 5:21)