Re: Links in email

Subject: Re: Links in email
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- ROGERS -dot- WAVE -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 08:26:53 -0800

On Thu, 4 Sep 1997 09:06:01 -0400, Kelly Williamson wrote:

>Could someone please tell me how to create a link to
>a website or email address in a regular email message?
>
>Apparantly everyone on this list knows how but me.

The problem is, it depends on the mail software the other person is
using.

Some mail programs (including most mailers that are built into browsers)
will automatically add a hyperlink to anything beginning with "http://";
or anything that looks like an email address.

Others may have also recognize the format, but have different ways of
accessing the link (in PMMail, for example, I can highlight a URL,
right-click it, and select "Explore" from a popup menu... or I can
highlight an email address, right-click, and select either "Send mail
to..." or "Add to address book..." from the popup).

You can manually add a hyperlink by typing the anchor yourself, too:
me, or
webserver.

If you're reading your mail in a browser (and in certain mail apps),
you'll actually see hyperlinks above... if so, use whatever variant of
"View HTML Source" your mailer/browser supports to see the actual text.

In fact some mailers/browsers may even allow you to simply highlight the
affected text (such as "Visit my web page!") and add the link through
some submenu.

So. The answer to your question is, it depends. And how useful the
product is depends on who's getting the message.

In short... don't lose any sleep over it. :-)

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<insert standard disclaimer here>