Re: intranet features

Subject: Re: intranet features
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- ROGERS -dot- WAVE -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 18:37:23 -0800

On Thu, 4 Sep 1997 12:26:58 -0500, Huber, Mike wrote:

>I'm doing several different intranets, of various types and ranges. And
>at least one thing that I guess isn't technically an intranet (no
>TCP/IP, just HTML files on the LAN) but looks like one.

That works too - similar to viewing HTML files on your local machine,
except the drive they're stored on is a network resource. As long as
your browser(s) don't complain about not having a TCP/IP stack, and as
long as everyone access the source drive with the same mapped letter (in
case you need to include absolute filespec references in your HTML),
there should be no problem with doing it this way.

>I think perhaps "what can I put on the intranet?" is the wrong question.
>I would ask "I have this information to distribute - is an intranet a
>good way to do that?"
>
>The first question looks at a tool and attempts to find a use for it,
>while the second looks at a task, and attempts to find a tool to
>accomplish it. It's the old media/content thing. With exciting new media
>and the same old boring content, the temptation to put the cart before
>the horse is great. Have to fight it, though, or make a lot of nifty
>pages that will only be looked at once.

Excellent point as well. And of course, one that far too few
upper-managers never seem to ask (based on numerous anecdotes from other
manual!" "Doesn't matter, we have Word 97 now, and everybody else is
using it, so you will too." <sound of tech writer dying>

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<insert standard disclaimer here>