Re: Links in email

Subject: Re: Links in email
From: Sabahat Ashraf <sabahat_ashraf -at- MENTORG -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 19:02:07 EDT

[Ahem...just reread the scenario and am going to jump in after a long absence.]

On Sep 4, 9:06am, Kelly Williamson wrote:
> Subject: Links in email
> Could someone please tell me how to create a link to
> a website or email address in a regular email message?

Based on the discussion so far, would it be safe to say that if, instead of
just

"...and you can check out my home page at http://www.rpi.edu/~ashrafs you will
get more info on this topic"

[note the omission of the comma after the URL/address]

I wrote

"...and you can check out <a href="http://www.rpi.edu/~ashrafs";>my home
page</a>, you will get more info on this topic"

or even

"...and you can check out <a href="http://www.rpi.edu/~ashrafs";>my home page at
http://www.rpi.edu/~ashrafs</a>, you will get more info on this topic"

it would be readable by most mail programs that allow linking of any sort?
[Mail programs that come with browsers would, I know, have two links in the
latter variation.]

On the topic of spaces:

I would like to hear about where a space is valid in a URL [home page address
or e-mail address]. And I am not pulling your leg or flaming/daring you; I once
had someone give me an e-mail address with a space in it. I forget what it
turned out to be but there was a reason of some sort.

Also, [disclaimer: starting a sentence with that word is a violation of our own
corporate style guide] it's not just spaces you need to know the %code for: the
tilde [~] is standard Unixspeak for "home directory of" [as in my address
above] and some systems will either translate it to %something or ask you to
supply the %code [mainly by giving an error].

Sabahat.

--
Sabahat_Ashraf -at- MentorG -dot- com