Word 97 and quirky graphics

Subject: Word 97 and quirky graphics
From: Scott Cover <COVER_SCOTT_L -at- CAT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 14:12:28 -0500

Hello everyone,

Let me ask for help on yet another bizarre problem I'm having with
Word.

I am making a users guide with screen captures as graphics. In trying
not to use the memory eating .bmp format, I tried other formats and
came across a very annoying problem. Sometimes the graphics print
just fine and are nice and clear. Other graphics come out looking
like the resolution or dithering or something is messed up even though
they are the same format. (looks like I spilled salt and pepper on the
picture)

If a graphic prints nice once, it always prints nice and if it prints
bad once it always prints bad. I tried placing graphics using .gif,
.jpeg, .tiff, .pict, and even .bmp formats , but each screen grab
seems random on whether it will print badly or not.

Now for the odd part, (odder part?) I can look at the graphic at
whatever resolution on my machine in Word, Paint or Imager and it
looks just fine. Only when I print does it look odd so it is pretty
time consuming to check the graphics. Two of my co-workers can print
the exact same page and the graphic prints fine. My machines settings
are exactly the same as theirs, I don't have any prgrams that change
resolution running concurrantly with Word and I reboot every morning.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem or is my machine just cursed?

Note: I am assuming the problem started when I switched formats, but
I am not positive.

Thanks,

Scott Cover
Technical Writer