Re: Political Correctness and the Writer

Subject: Re: Political Correctness and the Writer
From: Scott Browne <sbrowne -at- UNICOMP -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 13:29:28 -0600

<snip>
> While editing some on-line help text for software, I came across a
> field labeled *handicap accessible*. I checked the American with
> Disabilities Act on the internet and made a quick, toll-free call to
> the Department of Justice's help desk to clarify my feelings.
<snip>
> that piece of the software is being modified to use the stylized
> wheelchair symbol and the word *accessible* and use the terminology
> *disabled*.
>
> Obviously, we need to be sensitive to the current issues and to be
> willing to speak up and allow changes in social interactions become
> changes in our business, as well.

Ah, but how long until the current terms are considered insensitive?

There was a time when the term was "crippled". When that became
unexceptable, the term "handicapped" was invented and no one seemed to
mind. Now that is not appropriate, so it's moved on to "disabled". It
won't last, folks. After the new term becomes commonplace, someone
will start to have a problem with it and a new term will have to be
devised.

Oh, well. You can't please all of the people all of the time . . . .

Just something to think about.

Scott
sbrowne -at- unicomp -dot- net