Choosing a DTP Package

Subject: Choosing a DTP Package
From: Becky Roberts <jrobeck -at- LDL -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 11:13:18 -0400

Any feedback on this subject would be appreciated, I am new to the list.
I am trying to convince my company to convert from a mainframe
publishing system to FrameMaker + SGML. I manage a tech writing group
that has to support documents in multiple languages. Also, we have to
be able to read and modify documents created by another department that
plans to use ArborText and convert to SGML. I'm not sure that SGML is
the answer for my group because we have a small staff and little time to
invest at this point in building a DTD, but I don't want to close the
SGML option completely.

Questions:
1. Anyone out there had any experience converting FrameMaker + SGML to
ArborText Adept Editor, or vice versa? Any thoughts on this
subject?
2. Anyone have any comments on limitations or advantages of SGML and
translating documents? Specifically, do most contract translation
agencies support ArborText?
3. Any thoughts on the relative advantages or disadvantages of SGML?

Thanks for your feedback. This is the first message that I have posted,
so forgive me if I have broken any of the rules.

Becky Roberts
TSYS
mail to: jrobeck -at- ldl -dot- net