More questions on HTML and PDF

Subject: More questions on HTML and PDF
From: Becky Palmer-Scott <bpalmer-scott -at- INVESTLEARNING -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 10:54:19 -0500

THANK YOU to all who answered my first posting! I have more questions, though...
please give me the benefit of your experience! Sorry if you already answered
these questions the first time and I just didn't get it.

Here's the full situation. Sorry for the length...

My company's product changes often, so the doc must be updated frequently. We're
planning to put our reference doc online, but we also have to provide bound
books on request. Eventually, we'll provide our product on the Internet, so I
thought HTML would be a good idea, but we can live with PDF for now if needed.

Luckily the doc is basically one page per topic, so it's a decent candidate for
conversion. What I have now is MANY PageMaker Mac files, which include graphics,
boxes, ovals, and text on each page. When I tried to export to HTML, I lost the
boxes, ovals, and some of the text formatting -- major drag.

We do have some time to switch to another desktop publisher, but I sure would
like to at least convert the files I have.

My boss thinks there must be a database out there from which you can make both
online and offline doc. Does anyone know of one?

Failing that, does anyone know of a desktop publisher that converts easily to
and from online doc, particularly in HTML format? If so, can this publisher
import PageMaker or PDF files?

Or, does anyone know of a way to automatically convert PageMaker files to HTML
so that one page equals one HTML file?

Also, I want to make sure our customers will be able to do word searches through
the online doc. Any ideas on an EASY way to provide this with HTML files?

Any other ideas or comments you have would be very helpful!

Thank you in advance!