standards

Subject: standards
From: "Klopfenstein, Ed (AFS)" <EdK -at- ACCU-FAB -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 09:48:17 -0700

Got a question for all you folks out in tech writing land.

I'm a technical writer for a growing robotics company, and I'm
interested in setting manual standards for documentation. I'd like to
bump it up a notch or two with hypermedia, multimedia, and a host of
other "teaching" tools for technicians and operators. However, the
heart of my interest is setting actual documentation standards.

Here's my "getting my hair gray" list :
1) Since every company requests different documentation standards, is
there a set of standards that's emerging as unbiased and respected by
companies everywhere? (Call this the "magic bullet" standard.)
2) Is there a standard for getting hypermedia on intranets? i.e.: jpeg
over gif; HTML 3.2 over Frontpage 97 or HTML 2.0; yadda, yadda, yadda.
(Call this the "virtual magic bullet" standard.)

Would love some help on this one.

Ed Klopfenstein

Technical Writer
Accu-Fab Systems, Inc.