Re: How does one overcome...

Subject: Re: How does one overcome...
From: Tim Merrick <TimM -at- ILE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 09:37:02 -0600

Pat Gantt wrote:

> Please excuse my run-on but...
>
> during an interview situation for...
>
> let's say a technical writing position one is over qualified
> for...
>
> how does a female overcome the "What could
> a female actually know about tech. writing and
> computers?" not stated but thought objection???
>
> An' please dun grade my Anglitch!
>
> at wits end...
>
> Suggestions?

Pat:

As a man, I cannot fully understand your situation. However, I am a
disabled person and have faced similar discrimination. My strategy in
overcoming such biases is to rephrase the question as "What do YOU (the
applicant) know about technical writing and computers?" and then to
answer that question. Gender bias (or any other form of discrimination)
is based on generalizations. The effective response is to move to
specifics. "This is what I know about technical writing and computers,
and this is what I can do for your company." Don't waste time arguing or
even worrying about the bias. Just prove it wrong.

Tim Merrick
Senior Technical Writer
ILE Communications Group
timm -at- ile -dot- com