Re: How does one overcome...

Subject: Re: How does one overcome...
From: Jennifer Jelinek <jlkraus -at- AMETEKWATER -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 10:40:21 -0500

how does a female overcome the "What could
a female actually know about tech. writing and
computers?" not stated but thought objection???

I would say, look for a new interview situation. Doesn't sound like the kind of place I'd like to work. Seems like the next question might be, "why would a woman ever need a raise? I'm sure her husband's the breadwinner of the family anyway."

If this is impossible...try to demonstrate your computer knowledge through conversation. Since it doesn't sound like the interviewer has a very high mentality, using big, technical words might work. Or lots of acronyms (a la Dilbert). Example:

" During my experience documenting the SCHMOW extension of the PYGS infrastructure, I was required to spearhead the documentation team for the primary stage of the D.U.M.A.Z.Z. development cycle. "

Seriously, though I would rely on examples of past work experience, or ask to give him a hands-on demonstration of your skills on his office computer.

Good luck!

Jennifer Jelinek
jlkraus -at- ametekwater -dot- com