Re: Contents at a Glance

Subject: Re: Contents at a Glance
From: Lars Helge Semb <lhs -at- VINGMED -dot- NO>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 14:35:38 +0200

Salan Pazurik <salstu -at- SMARTT -dot- COM> asked:
---snip---
>The table of contents extends over six pages. Should I place a one-page
>Contents in Brief before the Contents in Detail?
---snip---

In a 500 page service manual I'm editing, I've put a brief one page TOC as the very first page in the manual. The idea is that the service staff should be able to turn to the right section very fast. The first page in each section holds a local brief TOC and in some of the sections there are sub-sections (and they also start with a local TOC).

I've also included an ordinary TOC in the manual's Introduction, but I don't think it is used so much--it's easier to use the brief TOCs or the Index.

--Lars H.