Re: Contents at a Glance

Subject: Re: Contents at a Glance
From: WandaJane Phillips <wjp -at- WRITELIVELIHOOD -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 08:17:33 -0400

John Glenn wrote:

>Salan asked: Are two TOCs useful?
>
>For /ME/, a tech manual's TOC usually is a waste of paper.
>When I want something from a manual, I start with the index.
>The only time I refer to a TOC is when navigating an
>electronic document.

I usually start with the index, but sometimes the index is (uh, politeness
hat on) not useful. Then I move the TOC.

When I'm in a hurry, a long TOC is a pain. But I don't think I really like
the cascading TOC (high level, lower level). If a high level TOC and the
index don't get me what I want, I usually begin screaming, but then when I'm
done I will try scanning different sections for *hits* on my list of keywords.

I don't mind more detailed TOCs at the beginning of a section that contains
several chapters, but I don't really need individual TOCs for each chapter.
A bit of overkill. If the chapter is so huge that the reader needs a TOC to
navigate, the chapter is too big.

WandaJane
!* Write Livelihood - Documentation that solves problems *!\
!* WandaJane Phillips wjp -at- writelivelihood -dot- com
!* Visit our web site at http://www.writelivelihood.com/