Re: Rules of thumb in estimating

Subject: Re: Rules of thumb in estimating
From: Kathy Marshall <kmarshall -at- MODACAD -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 07:47:44 -0700

Matt,
I'm interested in hearing how everyone estimates their doc projects too.
I remember hearing or reading somewhere that the industry standard is
something like 2 pages per hour. I think that's what it was. I used to
use that as a base and would then work around it -- projects that
required more research and were start-from-scratch things, I allowed
more time. Projects that were rewrites, I estimated less time (maybe 4-6
pages per hour). Then it got all complicated because you had to factor
in reviews, rewriting, etc.

Nowadays, I just eyeball it and I'm usually right. It goes something
like this:
Boss: So how long will this take to complete?
Me: 4 months, start to finish.
Boss: 4 months?! But it needs to be done in 2 months. That's when the
project is scheduled for release.
Me: Ok, let me rework the schedule...(a few hours later)...Ok, I think
we can do it in 2 months if we restructure a few things.
Boss: Great.

2 months later...the software is NOT released, nor has anyone reviewed
the manually thoroughly (which was completed on time). By the time the
doc has finallly been reviewed and revised, 4 months have passed.

-Kathy