Rules of thumb in estimating

Subject: Rules of thumb in estimating
From: Matthew J Long <mjl100z -at- MAIL -dot- ODU -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 08:44:17 -0400

On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, Cramer, Kim wrote:

> This is how it works here:
>
> 1. We estimate time to completion for each book for each release, then
> we track actual time. We're expected to estimate within +/- 10% of
> actual. This comparison helps us become better at estimating for future
> projects so they are more likely to stay on track for the estimated
> release date.

Kim,

I landed a great job as a technical writer only 6 months out of college in
which I am the only (and therefore Lead) tech writer. I call all the shots
as far as design, usage, conventions, etc. I learned a lot in my
internship and with the work I have done so far (I have now been doing
this for 9 months) and my company likes my work and seems confident in my
skills. However, I start to get concerned about the amount of time it
should take to produce a user's manual. In my internship, things were very
laid back--no deadlines. Well, the real world just ain't like that. I
haven't had any major deadlines so far, but I think that is just because
my bosses have no idea how long a user's manual should take.

When I read your comment (above), I thought it would be a good idea to ask
you, but also anyone else, how to estimate the amount of time it should
take to produce a manual. I am aware that the answer is going to depend
on the application and how many "features" is sports. But I would love to
know how you get started. When I used to paint houses during my summers
in college, the only way I could be accurate in my estimates to the
customer was through trial and error, Sometimes I would underestimate and
lose my butt, while other times it was the opposite. I would bet that the
same is true in estimating the time it takes to complete a manual, but I
would also bet that there are a few rules of thumb. Can you advise?

I welcome any comments!!

Thanks!

Matthew J. Long
Technical Writer
mjl100z -at- mail -dot- odu -dot- edu
matt -dot- long -at- justice -dot- usdoj -dot- gov

-When you can't be eloquent, choose brevity!