Re: Rules of thumb in estimating

Subject: Re: Rules of thumb in estimating
From: Bill DuBay <bill_dubay -at- PHOENIX -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 16:10:22 PDT

This is a problem not just for contractors, but for everybody. It is very
difficult if you

1. Don't know the technology
2. Don't know how much in the way of engineering documents is available, how
much is already on paper.
3. Don't know about the other resources required for the task, engineers'
time, available tools, testing, editing, etc.

Once you know those things, and you can come up with the number of pages for
the document, you can start estimating on the basis of days required per
page. I often spend two days per page. This includes research, writing,
indexing, illustrations, formatting, reviews, etc.

The biggest problem I face is the scheduling of engineer's time. We like to
produce documents in tandem with the product, but prior to release, there is
no engineering time scheduled for documentation. That means I have to wait
for the code to freeze before I can finish the job. The engineer's time is
required for technical edits.

Bill DuBay
Technical Writer
Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
email: bill_dubay -at- phoenix -dot- com
(714)790-2049 FAX: (714)790-2001
http://www.phoenix.com
-------------
Original Text
From: Kathy Marshall <kmarshall -at- MODACAD -dot- COM>, on 7/8/97 7:47 AM:
Matt,
I'm interested in hearing how everyone estimates their doc projects too.
I remember hearing or reading somewhere that the industry standard is
something like 2 pages per hour. I think that's what it was. I used to
use that as a base and would then work around it -- projects that
required more research and were start-from-scratch things, I allowed
more time. Projects that were rewrites, I estimated less time (maybe 4-6
pages per hour). Then it got all complicated because you had to factor
in reviews, rewriting, etc.

Nowadays, I just eyeball it and I'm usually right. It goes something
like this:
Boss: So how long will this take to complete?
Me: 4 months, start to finish.
Boss: 4 months?! But it needs to be done in 2 months. That's when the
project is scheduled for release.
Me: Ok, let me rework the schedule...(a few hours later)...Ok, I think
we can do it in 2 months if we restructure a few things.
Boss: Great.

2 months later...the software is NOT released, nor has anyone reviewed
the manually thoroughly (which was completed on time). By the time the
doc has finallly been reviewed and revised, 4 months have passed.

-Kathy