Re: Techwr-l Recurring Reduces (plural of redux, no? :)

Subject: Re: Techwr-l Recurring Reduces (plural of redux, no? :)
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 15:44:42 -0500

> You mean a response among a smallish percentage of list readers. If
> more than 90% of the list have good filters and/or are low maintenance
> enough to ignore posts they aren't interested in (remember, fewer than
> 10% of the list voted to kill the certification discussion), then as
> Danny Wood says, this thread is really just a more politically correct
> version of an annoying recurring thread that the large majority of folks
> simply ignore.<<<

The 90% who are supposedly using filters or happily ignoring posts is
likely to include many people who *do* get frustrated at seeing the same
thread over and over and over (and then the inevitable arguments over
whether the thread should be here, followed by the inevitable arguments
over who should get to decide whether the thread should be here), but
choose not to perpetuate it by commenting on it.

I think, as a newcomer, I would have appreciated a friendly list of
topics that had already been thoroughly discussed, because the posts can
be found in the archives and I might be able to find my answer
immediately instead of waiting for responses. I don't think anybody's
suggested these topics be off-limits, just let people know that the
archives are a good source of info on these particular topics and should
be checked first. OTOH, that assumes everyone reads Eric's confirmation
messages, which they obviously don't.

Tracy
who failed miserably in her effort to not perpetuate *this* thread