Re: Printing bids - surprise!

Subject: Re: Printing bids - surprise!
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 15:39:27 -0500

Elna Tymes wrote:

> Kinko's came in cheapest! Surprise, surprise! We could have expected
> some reasonably close bids on the Docutech-type insides, but to have > the
> whole project come in lowest was a real eye-opener. Has anyone else
> had an experience like this lately? Is Kinko's really getting into
> the printing business?

Interesting. The Kinko's here is much more expensive when simply copying
(not Docuteching), but I don't know about their other services. In fact,
when I started doing our chapter's newsletter I called and checked their
prices, and they were fairly low -- but it turned out they had forgotten
to figure something into the price. So make sure they didn't do that to
you, too. And the customer service definitely leaves something to be
desired (and I don't mean smiling and saying "thank you," I mean
actually doing what I asked them to do and getting it done when they say
it will be done).

I do occasionally give them another chance, because they have the best
copying machines in town (as long as you have time to get it done over
if they mess it up). But I get much much better customer service at the
smaller, locally-owned shop. YMMV of course. I'd check with others who
have used your local Kinko's.

Tracy