Re: FWD: Students, STC, and Student Chapter--Need Advice

Subject: Re: FWD: Students, STC, and Student Chapter--Need Advice
From: Tom Hoyt <thoyt -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 09:37:43 -0800

Student Leader,

I would do several things. First, I would contact the director-sponsor for
your region, and let him/her know exactly how you feel so that she can at
least speak with the local STC chapter president to find out what exactly
is going on. It could all be a misunderstanding, but I doubt it. For
whatever reason, many professionals dismiss or treat poorly any ideas that
come from students, and that is a mistake that costs the society dearly in
terms of long term membership and new leadership ideas.

Second, I would go ahead form a student chapter. If you have the potential
for 150 members, that would make you a formidable chapter in your own right
if they all joined (which is a big IF, by the way). To quote the STC
Bylaws, Article IX - Chapters, Section 2. Formation, subsection A.
Application: "...To establish a student chapter, ten or more student
members and at least one voting member who is the student chapter advisor
must submit a similar application [member name and signature, address, name
of new chapter, name of chapter president]..." Contact the society office
for a copy of the bylaws and an application for starting a student chapter.

Forming a student chapter is a win-win for you because it gives you
leadership opportunities that are not available at the local chapter, you
get some operating money for your group in the form of a dues rebate, and
you can create your own programs, workshops, newsletter, etc. And, you can
still participate in the regular STC chapter programs and board meetings.
When I was president of the San Diego chapter, we invited the SDSU student
chapter president to attend our board meetings, and it worked out really
well. Form a chapter and become a player. Make the regular chapter notice
you!

Third, I would remain in close contact with the local STC chapter. After
all, you may have to work for and/or with some of these same people in the
next couple of years after you graduate. No sense burning bridges over a
failure of the local leadership to take you seriously. (Just keep that in
mind when you interview with these same people since they may treat you the
same way in the workplace.) Tap into the local membership for student
meeting speakers.

Maybe the next round of leaders will be different, but why wait another
year when you can move forward now and have a student chapter in place for
the fall term. I guarantee you they will notice when their membership
numbers drop and some money is taken out of their rebate check after you
form your own group.

Tom Hoyt
Membership Mgr., Willamette Valley STC
thoyt -at- qualcomm -dot- com