FWD: Students, STC, and Student Chapter--Need Advice

Subject: FWD: Students, STC, and Student Chapter--Need Advice
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 09:43:16 -0400

Eric Ray forwarded:

>The local STC chapter where I live does not seem to care that >there are undergrad and graduate student members who might >benefit from being able to interact with the professionals in >our area.

If this is true, it's disappointing. Outreach and mentoring are--or
should be--part of the STC's mandate.

Before starting another chapter, I'd suggest getting a few students
involved in the existing one. Get them on the executive, if possible. If
not, get them to volunteer as often as possible. Being involved has at
least three advantages:

*It means that you'll be taken seriously. No one can dismiss students if
they're involved with the running of things.

*It means that your voice will not only be heard, but carry more than
the voice of those who don't help out.

*It gets student concerns on the agenda.

Students might want to make a special point of volunteering to organize
things which directly conern students. For example, find someone who is
willing to organize a mentoring program, or to edit a student
newsletter. I'd be very surprised if the chapter executive would turn
down such initiatives, especially if it didn't have to do any of the
organizing.

True, students come and go, so their involvement in any organization
always complicates things, Possibly, too, the chapter has had some bad
experiences with students in the past.

One way or the other, though, you have to work to change the negative
opinions. If you continue locally in the profession, you're going to
keep running into these people, so making enemies of them isn't the best
idea. Starting another chapter in the area or being openly hostile to
them is only going to make the situation unpleasant for everyone.

--
Bruce Byfield (bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com)
Technical Writer / Job Bank Team, STC Canada West Coast Chapter

"Ilkey D'Amour,
Tha' hill where tha' Yorkshiremen go,
Vous avez been there,
Without chapeau."