Course wish list?

Subject: Course wish list?
From: Tracy Jones <jonest -at- IPIX -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 10:57:55 -0400

I have a degree in English with a concentration in writing. As far as my
school (U. of TN at Knosville-- Hi Pat) was concerned, there is no
difference between what I learned and what a budding tech writer there would
learn. I, however, took many hours of poetry and fiction writing and exactly
three in nonfiction, none of them technical. I've freelanced feature stories
for about five years (and still write fiction, something that amuses the
engineers), but except for a bit of dabbling in business writing, this job
is my first experience in technical communications.

My question: one of my benefits here is that the company will pay for
continuing education, whether that's just a few computer science courses,
or, conceivably, a graduate degree. I'm eager to start taking classes, and
I'm kicking myself that I avoided all technical subjects like the plague.
What kinds of classes would you take? I work for a software company but
would also like to learn skills that could be applied to other types of
technical writing environments.

Thanks in advance,

Tracy