Documenting internal programs

Subject: Documenting internal programs
From: Tracy Jones <jonest -at- IPIX -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 14:25:31 -0400

I'm new to the list and to the technical communications game. I've found
this list incredibly valuable so far, and I have a question for the more
experienced among you. My company is launching its first software
applications for external users-- I wrote online documentation for two of
them, an instruction sheet for a third, and revised two other sets of
documentation written by engineering interns (boy, that was fun!). The
released versions don't contain some of the elements of our internal tool
sets. I'd like to start documenting these internal, undocumented features
because 1) I know someone will want to add them to the next released version
2) Only the engineers who wrote them know how to use them

My question is: how do I get support for documenting these internal tools?
What argument would persuade my boss that this will be time-saving and
cost-effective in the long run?

Thanks,

Tracy Jones