Re: Standard abbreviations for colors

Subject: Re: Standard abbreviations for colors
From: barryk -at- MDHOST -dot- CSE -dot- TEK -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 12:32:02 -0700

On Fri, 30 May 1997, John Vaughan wrote:

> I am wondering if anyone can tell me what the standard abbreviations for
> colors are? For instance, when labeling wires on a diagram, I wish to
> abbreviate the colors something like this:
>
> Bl = Blue
> Br = Brown
> Gr = Gray
> Gn = Green
> O = Orange
> R = Red
> W = White
>
> etc...

The standard abbreviations are always in caps and as follows:

BLK black
BRN brown
RED red
ORN orange
YEL yellow
GRN green
BLU blue
VIO violet
GRA gray
WHT white

and for solid color wires striped with a color the base color is always
stated first:

WHT/RED BRN/BLU GRA/WHT

These are based on MIL-STD's and EIA standards.

Hope this helps.

Barry Kieffer