SUMMARY: Relocation advice, THANKS!!!

Subject: SUMMARY: Relocation advice, THANKS!!!
From: Redick Kimberly <Redick_Kimberly -at- EMS -dot- PRC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 14:55:15 -0400

Hi All!

Yesterday I posted a plea for advice on relocating to a remote, possibly
home-based, office (in Dayton, OH for those that asked). Thanks for all
your input! I've summarized the comments since approx. half of the

* Work out of your home full-time, but have an office that is isolated
from the rest of the house. (A separate entrance is best.)

* Avoid committing definite schedules to either the branch office or at
home until you get settled. Then figure out what works best.

* Get at least two phone lines, with a phone that supports conference
calling. (And negotiate a deal where the company picks up the cost of at
least one)

* Make arrangements for all of the equipment you need: FAX, fast modem,
printer, etc.

* Resist the temptation to Eat.

* Know your company's telecommuting policy inside and out.

* Before seeking advice from a mailing list, make sure you know which
co-workers subscribe to the same list. (Yep - my coworker was REALLY
suprised.)

BTW, my post prompted some other interesting questions. Comments?
1. Is it important to be "seen" as well as heard at the branch office?
2. Are there social interactions you can't afford to miss?
3. Will others want to telecommute too?