Re: Agency Response - margins

Subject: Re: Agency Response - margins
From: Richard Yanowitz <ryanowit -at- NYCT -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 18:54:09 -0400

>I have never worked for an agency that was up front about their margin.
>
>Anyone else?
>
>Can you, fellow Tech Writer, ask your agency how much they are receiving
>and get a straightforward answer?

You're quite right--it's one of the irritating things (we have to be up
front but they won't be) about agencies. There are, however, creative ways
of finding out. And sometimes if you ask directly and press the point,
they'll tell you. Indeed, such willingness is one indication that the
agency may be a decent one (if, of course, they tell you the truth...).

If they first ask your rate and then say it's too high, you can try
discussing why ("well, what is the client paying, and what kind of split do
you need?").

Still, in my experience, most places won't level with you about what they get.
Richard Yanowitz, NYC
ryanowitz -at- bigfoot -dot- com

Freelance writers (including tech writers): join the National Writers Union
(contact me for further details)