Re: Agency Response - margins

Subject: Re: Agency Response - margins
From: Buck & Tilly Buchanan <writer -at- DHC -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 17:41:53 -0500

KTINY -at- AOL -dot- COM wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> It has been an interesting experience to see how the original slamming post
> has acquired a life of its own. My thanks to those who have responded with
> supportive postings (both publicly and privately). As the discussion has
> moved to margins (based on the comments of Mr. Yanowitz) the entire
> conversation has been framed by a single experience from over three years
> ago. The comment regarding agency margins is bogus and badly dated. Margins
> in the NY metro and Boston metro area do not support 50% as a standard
> mark-up. It rarely happens at KTI. In those situations where we do request
> and gain a higher than normal mark-up, we are generally promising something
> more than just a final deliverable.

I have never worked for an agency that was up front about their margin.

Anyone else?

Can you, fellow Tech Writer, ask your agency how much they are receiving
and get a straightforward answer?

That's a secret as well-kept as a furniture store's markup (typically
they pay less than 20% of the selling price--18% is about average, in
case you're ready to buy that new living-room suit(e).

Buck Buchanan
writer -at- dhc -dot- net
Arlington, TX