Re: Frame imported graphics

Subject: Re: Frame imported graphics
From: Jeanette Feldhousen <jeanette_feldhousen -at- MENTORG -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 15:59:41 -0700

On May 15, 6:37pm, SUZANNE PYLE wrote:
> Subject: Frame imported graphics
> When you import into Frame, you have the option of importing by reference
> or copy into document. I can see the benefit in copying directly into the
> doc because Frame doesn't have to go hunting for graphics in some other
> directory which may not be with the source file. But, can you tell me good
> reasons for using the other option (import by reference)? I'm trying to
> make a wise decision on which way to go with graphic importing!

Easy. When I first started using Frame (it may have been Frame 3.x on a
Windows 3.1 environment), it would routinely corrupt the graphics if I
copied them in so that I would have to re-import them all. I quickly
got in the habit of inserting graphics by reference in FrameMaker. It also
makes it easier when I need to change the graphics--I don't have to
copy them in again. I've also written several manuals that use the same
graphics, and this way I only have to store them once. Generally I only
import graphics for each manual from one directory, so it's not a big
deal to copy the graphics directory as well as the directory with the
FrameMaker book files.

--Jeanette

--
Jeanette Feldhousen jeanette_feldhousen -at- mentorg -dot- com
Mentor Graphics Corporation