The Celsius conversion

Subject: The Celsius conversion
From: Roz Ault - User Support Technology - ext 377 <AULT -at- FAXON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 13:18:17 -0400

Mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com writes:

> Better yet, don't convert at all. Just learn to use
> Celsius: 0 is freezing, 100 is boiling, under 10 is
> chilly, 20 is comfortable, 30 or above is
> uncomfortably hot.

Or use this mnemonic rhyme, which is the only way I can remember the
rough equivalents:

Fahrenheit:
90 is hot
70's nice
50 is chilly
30 is ice

Celsius:
30 is hot
20 is nice
10 is chilly
0 is ice

This is easy to remember because you only need to
know that 0 is freezing in Celsius and to use 10
degree increments for Celsius and 20 degrees for
Fahrenheit.

Or, to get back to something approaching an on-topic
message -- I love this little rhyme because it's
such an elegant solution for the problem of giving
the user the right information in the right way to
accomplish the task at hand. In this case, you don't
really want to go through all the work of
remembering and executing a mathematical formula --
you just want an easy way to figure out what you
should wear when the weather forecast predicts a
high temperature of 15 degrees.

- Roz Ault
ault -at- faxon -dot- com