Tufte books

Subject: Tufte books
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 13:02:03 -0500

Chris Hamilton asked for opinions on Edward Tufte's books.
I haven't seen the third book yet, but his first two ("The
Visual Display of Quantitative Information" and
"Envisioning Information") were excellent, and the third
one got a good review in _Technical Communication_ (if
memory serves). If you're worried about spending the bucks,
whihc are indeed substantial, check out your local
library... he's sufficiently well known that his books turn
up in all kinds of strange places, so you can probably try
before you buy.

On the other hand, the quality of the explanations in both
books far exceeded the quality of the book design itself,
which I found somewhat ironic. Not unacceptably bad, mind,
just not particularly good.