Editorial Lattitude

Subject: Editorial Lattitude
From: Terry Freedman <etfreedman -at- EASYNET -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 18:11:33 -0500

An article of mine appeared recently, and the magazine's editor decided, in
his infinite wisdom, to insert two words which were not in the original.
Consequently, the article (or at least that section of it) gives the
impression that I hold certain opinions which I don't, and which could
potentially damage my reputation. It is also now factually inaccurate,
making me look as if I don't know what I'm talking about. This could affect
sales of a book I've just written, which the article was promoting. Just to
finish p[utting you in the picture, the company publishing the book is also
the publisher of the magazine.

I now realise that it's probably a good idea to get a prior written
agreement from any editor that any changes in an article will be shown to me
before publication, and will only be published with my approval. I've never
thought of doing that before because most editors I've dealt with have been
honourable.

However, does anyone know if there's anything I can do, perhaps legally, to
get the editor to print a retraction of the offending item? I've written to
him expressing my feelings, and asking him to print a retraction. I've also
responded to an email asking me to write another article by saying that I
won't consider doing so until I receive a reply to my letter. Needless to
say, I have had no response whatsoever.

Any suggestions?
--
Terry Freedman