Culture change & growing pains!

Subject: Culture change & growing pains!
From: IBAHKA -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 12:36:30 -0500

Hello Experts:

I'm seeking some well needed advice for a company that I work for. So, I'm
turning to those who have tremendous experience within the Training and
Development fields.

Company specs:
Located in the NE

Focus of the company is to provide:
Organization Comm.
Event Management
Training and Development
Management Consulting

Staff:
15 people (heavy administrative right now)

Challenge:
I was hired a short time ago to help bridge the gap between Sales & Marketing
AND Development. Let me paint you a picture...

Here's how the management strucutre exists now:

The President/CEO = Management Consultant AND Sales & Marketing Manager

The Director of Operations = Taking care of 60% of the organization with
staff focused ONLY on the D&D side of things... no real decision making power
here.

Director of HR = Editor & HR policies & Exec. Asst to CEO

OK, other than the obvious pitfalls of having too much to do.... : )
The President has made it clear that in order to stay competitive we need to
REDEFINE the process and how we're doing business. This man is an expert in
managment consulting but claims to know nothing about training and
development; so he turns to Dir. of Ops to help define these goals and
processes & implement them. However, "she" has no real decision making power
- she is cut-down and overruled even when "she" has starting the ball
rolling.

Here's the thing... The President wants change & he says that he is the first
one to admit it's hard for him to "let go". So, you can see the clear
picture here... the PREZ isn't really going to be a leader here... he's too
focused on maintaining the business & doesn't know how to move the company in
the direction that "he thinks it should go."

We've had lost of Team Planning Sessions with the Company & the real positive
is that the "people" are involved. The neat thing is that everyone is saying
the same thing... there's NO consistency, credibility of "managers" are at
stake because things change on a daily basis.

So, I pose these questions:
1. Where do we need to start?
2. How do we go about making the change happen?
3. What should each member of the management team be expected to accomplish?
4. What is the people's role in all of this?
5. Etc. etc. etc. ......

We would really appreciate any information, suggestions or resources you
could help provide this very talented company through a very difficult time
of change and growth!

Thank you in advance!