Re: Do techies really know what other techies need?

Subject: Re: Do techies really know what other techies need?
From: Melanie Fielek <mfielek -at- INRI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 13:34:42 -0500

Sella Rush wrote:

> My problem is that the programmer I work most closely with despises all
> my tries at making text more accessible. (I really don't think it's all
> my problem because he's the only one that complains--but he's the
> important one). His stock response is "they're programmers, they'll
> understand what I'm saying." He also hates anything that might sound
> like a sell--and simpler language sounds like a sell to him

> But I'm sick and tired of having all my
> suggestions discounted because he's a techie and knows what techies want
> and what they don't want is a lot of clear writing that might insult
> their intelligence.

Try this:

If you know a programmer who is friendly to your ideas or if you
can program yourself, get a program written that works but is overly
complicated. Show it to him and ask if he'd be willing to send it out
the door like that. If so, it's hopeless -- give it up! If not, then
you can draw parallels. Just because "it works" does not mean it is
as good as it could be. A good program, much like good writing, depends
not only on whether it works, but _how well_ it does its job.

If you can't use a real example, try to explain it that way.

If it's hopeless, maybe you could tell him to do his job and let you
do yours!

Good luck!

-- Melanie

Melanie J. Fielek, Tech Writer |
Inter-National Research Institute | When the mice have cruised,
mfielek -at- inri -dot- com | The cats will snooze.
1991 Honda Hawk 650GT - Marissa |
-- All opinions are mine, _mine_, MINE! --