Fair Wage --revisited

Subject: Fair Wage --revisited
From: Bruce Brill <Bruceb -at- ACCENTSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 16:57:19 +0200

On 13 Mar 97 at 14:15, Bruce Brill wrote:

> I need to know (for purposes of salary determination):
>
> How much is 15 years technical (but not user's-manual) writing
> experience as an independent alternative energy engineer
> (with an MSc) worth
> in terms of technical writing experience in a computer
> software firm. Of course, you may respond privately, since this
> might not be of general interest. Thanks for your responses. --bruce
> brill

Hi Jane and others who replied,
Thanks for responding to my query about the worth of tech writing time
prior to user's manual-writing experience. I'd like to make the
question more specific... This is the situation: A
particular tech writer has been with this particular software company
for 9 months. He has excellent writing skills and --in addition to
the 15 years of non-user's-manual-technical writing experience, he was
also an independent journalist for the past six concurrent years. We
need to equate his past experience to its worth in terms of
"user's-manual-technical writing." Some opinions maintain that it's
not worth anything; others say it merits full value. What do you
feel? And what's your feeling based on?
Hope this sharpens the question.
Thanks for your answers.
--bruce