Re: Hottest TechCom Topics Today

Subject: Re: Hottest TechCom Topics Today
From: Yvonne DeGraw <yvonne -at- SILCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 09:02:59 -0800

I expect that an upcoming hot topic will be using audio/video to improve
communication (not just for glitz). With Internet bandwidth set to get much
bigger in the next 2-5 years, typical modem and CPU speeds increasing, and
better compression, we won't be as limited in the types of information we
can provide. Most audio used these days in just fluff. We'll need to examine
how to integrate it with images and text in a way that improved communication.

An aside: When planning meetings for STC chapters, you need to look at what
skills your members have and don't have. Plenty of people still haven't used
FrameMaker and don't know its advantages over Word, haven't a clue how to
get started creating WinHelp (much less HTML Help), and don't know how to
create Web pages. In addition, there are plenty of entry-level (and higher)
people who need to focus on some of the basics of tech writing. (But then,
you need to design programs that will appeal to both beginners and more
advanced members -- sometimes a difficult balancing act.)
Yvonne DeGraw, Technical Services o Technical Writing
yvonne -at- silcom -dot- com o Web Authoring
http://www.silcom.com/~yvonne/ o Database Design and Publishing
Tel: 805/683-5784 o User-Interface Design
Fax: 805/892-5179