Re: Comic Books, Cartoon Strips and Graphic Novels.

Subject: Re: Comic Books, Cartoon Strips and Graphic Novels.
From: Yvonne Harrison <yvonne -at- IHUG -dot- CO -dot- NZ>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 18:20:56 +1200

Okay, before I answer this question, is it my imagination or is this
question from Lynn so far off topic that the list should be renamed
'Basic Grammar Questions' as oppossed to 'Technical Communication'?
(Yes, that was a joke - not a very good one but a joke :-)

The answer to this question is available in many books such as: Strunk
and White - The Elements of Style (still a goody after all these years)
and The Gregg Reference Manual. The basic rule is: if something is a
published, performed or displayed work then it is referred to in
italics. The quote from The Gregg Reference Manual is:

"Underscore (it means italics) titles of complete works that are
published as seperate items - for example, books, pamphlets, long poems,
magazines, and newspapers. Also underscore titles of movies, plays,
musicals, operas, television and radio series, long musical pieces,
paintings and works of sculpture."

So I would say that since comic books, graphic novels and cartoon strips
are published pieces they should be italicized. I am presuming that the
Chicago Manual of Style said a similar thing...

Yvonne