Re: Tie Po Zin Re Zu Maize

Subject: Re: Tie Po Zin Re Zu Maize
From: R2 Innovations <R2innovations -at- MYNA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 22:12:27 +0000

Robert Plamondon wrote:

> So the question on the floor is not whether your resume should be error-
> free, but whether it CAN BE with the resources at your disposal. As
> a hiring manager, I realize that most people do job-hunting as a solitary
> activity, and have no one to proof their work. To me, that makes a resume
> the equivalent of a draft. If it gets the job done, addresses the problem
> at hand, is thorough, lucid, properly organized, factually correct, and
> immediately useful, then I am pleased. If it needs copy-editing or
> proofing, I don't care -- it's the equivalent of a draft, after all.

Mounting soapbox:

I have been truly amazed at the weak excuses some members of this
list have used in an attempt to justify mediocrity in our profession.
Are you all trying to tell us that you don't have any friends or
associates (my wife is my best critic, proofreader, and general
support staff) to have read over your resume as a check for
typos? Come on gang, we're not all that gullible.

If you want to consider yourselves professional, then you must act in
a professional manner. Typos on resumes for technical writers is
_not_ professional., no matter whose glasses you look through.
Having typos in your resume is like appearing for an interview
wearing a torn and dirty tee-shirt (blouse), scruffy jeans, unkept
hair, and a bad case of halitosis (bad breath). Beside that, it just ain't cool!!!

As far as the arguments that that technical proficiency and accuracy
should take precedence over typos and grammar, I think they are all
of the same importance. I expect a professional technical writer to
be technically proficient with the tools of the trade, technically
skilled in the use of the language, and possessing sufficient pride
in his/her work that typos and grammatical goofs are rarely a part of the
package -- notice I didn't say never. When it comes to the person's
marketing piece, and that's what your resume is, typos and
grammatical goofs are verboten.

Getting off soapbox:

By the way, I'm also a strong supporter of the STC. Let the flames
begin!!

Ralph E. Robinson
R2 Innovations
Specializing in ISO 9000 documentation and implementation.
Author of "Documenting ISO 9000: Guidelines for Compliant
Documentation", available from R2 Innovations on the WWW
at http://www.myna.com/~r2innovn/