Cost of STC Meetings (was "Why haven't I heard of you?")

Subject: Cost of STC Meetings (was "Why haven't I heard of you?")
From: Guy Haas <ghaas -at- NETSCAPE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 11:20:54 -0800

At 10:17 AM 2/21/97 -0600, "Eric Haddock, QP" wrote:
>I hear you re: the high cost of STC. Aside from the membership of
$100/year, the
>meetings here cost on average $16/month (they're always dinner meetings).

> By the way, how many people usually come to your STC meetings?

Our Silicon Valley Chapter (http://stc.org/region8/svc/www) had its monthly
dinner meetings in a hotel. Paying for food was required:

dinner & dessert
dessert only

members $19.00 $7
non-members $25.50 $10

In 1996, we conducted a survey, including questions about dinner meetings.
People complained about food quality & value.

Now, we have meetings at a restaurant:

food no food

members $12.00 $5
non-members $15.00 $8

Our meetings have ranged from 100 to over 250 people (I believe our
new space has a 250 limit). Our first meeting in the new facility
featured hors-d'ouvres: salad, bread, pita pockets, humus....

--g

Guy K. Haas ghaas -at- netscape -dot- com
Webmaster, Silicon Valley Chapter, STC 415-937-3773
Also Sr. Tech Writer for
Netscape Communications My opinions are mine,
501 Middlefield STC's and Netscape's
Mountain View, CA 94043 are their own.