Re: Cost of STC Meetings (was "Why haven't I heard of you?")

Subject: Re: Cost of STC Meetings (was "Why haven't I heard of you?")
From: Guy Haas <ghaas -at- NETSCAPE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 11:43:41 -0800

At 01:36 PM 2/24/97 -0600, Michael J Wing wrote:
>I'll confess my ignorance here. There is a per-meeting charge in
>addition to the yearly dues? So, effectively, it is $160 to join for a
>year and attend one monthly meeting (taking the no-food option). Is
>this common?
>Any idea what percentage of all Technical Writers this represents (for
>the area covered by this chapter). I would guess that Silicon Valley
>has quite a few. I might even guess that they have largest
>concentration of Tech Writers on the planet.
>>
>>Our first meeting in the new facility
>>featured hors-d'ouvres: salad, bread, pita pockets, humus....
>What, no meat and potatoes? Another person told me they typically offer
>only vegetarian plates at their meetings.

We have over 1500 members in the Silicon Valley Chapter,
making us the Society's most populous chapter.

Ever try to find a free meeting room, with sound system,
projection facilities, electric connections, etc that
will hold 100 to 250 people?

Our meetings are in the evening, so people do want SOME
food, even if it's not dinner. They emphatically said
that the cost of $19.00 with hotel-food-dinner was too high.

As to meat and potatoes,

1. we are still experimenting with food selections

2. this is California -- you know -- sprouts and tofu? :-)

--g