Editors

Subject: Editors
From: Stacey Marner <marners -at- CORSAIR -dot- MANTECH-WVA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 09:31:08 EST

I am brand new to this field and was hired as an editor in a very
technical environment. I was a high school English teacher so I've
never been exposed to all the tech talk, etc. except through my
husband. Now I'm reading that stuff for clarity and, although it's
gotten a lot better, I still don't have practical knowledge about what
I'm reading. Does this matter? I was also just curious how the
editing/tech writing situation is handled in different companies. Are
they usually the same person or do you just do a lot of peer editing?
Here I usually only get to read through a document once before it goes
out the door.

My last question has to do with setting up a documentation department.
There are three of us. One responsible for double checking and
compiling the outgoing documents, one to do formating and me. Before
I was hired, the only editing help they had was off site. I find it
very fulfilling when people bring me memos to proof or in-process
writing to get advice about structure. Although it does happen, it
doesn't happen very often. How do I introduce my self as a resource?
Does it just take time?

Stacey Marner