Re: Readability and point size

Subject: Re: Readability and point size
From: Don Smith <dsmith -at- ACCESSBEYOND -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 07:19:42 EST

Jill -

Your thoughts follow ours. We have been using 9.5 points with New
Century School Book font for our manuals during the last 3 or 4 years.
This is with a page size of 5.5 by 8.5 inches. We have not receieved
any complaints of "the printing is too small", up to now.

For larger (8.5 x 11) manuals we are using (not my idea!) 12 points.

Very best regards,

Don Smith
Sr. Technical Writer

Subject: Readability and point size
Author: Jill Burgchardt <jburgcha -at- PESTILENCE -dot- FTC -dot- NRCS -dot- USDA -dot- GOV> at INTERNET
Date: 1/14/97 5:32 PM

Hello,

Does anyone have any statistics or know of any articles regarding use of
different point
sizes for readability? Specifically, is bigger always better (hardcopy
documentation)?

The 12-point standard proposed for body text on our documentation seems to waste
a lot of space. Since our audience is primarily scientists, we think they'd be
just as
comfortable if we dropped it to 9 or 10 point. (We assume they read plenty of
technical
stuff at smaller font sizes.)

Does any research support our perspective? Please send your responses to
jburgcha -at- pestilence -dot- ftc -dot- nrcs -dot- usda -dot- gov

TIA,
Jill Burgchardt