Re: Do's or Dos

Subject: Re: Do's or Dos
From: Stephen Victor <svictor -at- HOUSTON -dot- GEOQUEST -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 15:44:01 -0600

ISABELLA_ADORNATO wrote:

> Hi everyone!

> I need to use the phrase "Do's and Don'ts" except that I'm not
> quite sure on how it should be written: "Dos" or "Do's".

> According to some research that we did, it should be written as "Dos"
> or else "Do's" would mean "Do is"; yet I have seen it written
> as "Do's" (Do's and Don'ts), even in STC journals.

Conversely, "Dos" could be read as "dos" (two) or the acronym for that
old PC operating system (whatever it was called). I've never seen "Do's
and Don'ts" written any way other than just that.

You could also consider replacing the phrase with "Guidelines" or
"Rules" or something along those lines.

Regards,
Steve
--
Stephen P. Victor Phone: (713) 513-2552
Technical Writer, Software Training Fax: (713) 513-2019