Re: Survey: Which DTP do you use?

Subject: Re: Survey: Which DTP do you use?
From: Chris Burke <cburke -at- CLARK -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 10:04:12 -0500

Eric Haddock wrote:

>DTP = page layout and design, typesetting, and graphic design. You know:
> artsy stuff

>Word processing = text crunching


>So, for what I consider real actual DTP tasks, I choose to use QuarkXPress.
>For word processing, I have to use MS Word.
>For illustration, I choose Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop.

I agree. To be effective at many DTP tasks requires several

That said, my company uses Quark, Word and Illustrator
to produce everything from one-page fliers and ad slicks
to 50 page technical manuals. Quark is our main workhorse--
tools like Word and Illustrator can "do" page layout, but
are most often use to prepare pieces of the puzzle that are
assembled in a "real" page layout program.

And we're not in the minority -- Playboy, Time, Wired
magazine and various daily newspapers also use Quark for
their layout work (albeit a slightly beefed-up version
called the Quark Publishing System). But these
same periodicals also mix in Word, WordPerfect,
Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.


Previous by Author: Job Opportunity: Rockville, MD USA
Next by Author: HTML Project Manager
Previous by Thread: Re: Survey: Which DTP do you use?
Next by Thread: CE Mark

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads