Re: Survey: Which DTP do you use?

Subject: Re: Survey: Which DTP do you use?
From: Eric Haddock <eric -at- ENGAGENET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 08:19:57 -0600

I'm from the old school I guess.

DTP = page layout and design, typesetting, and graphic design. You know:
artsy stuff

Word processing = text crunching

MS Word is not a DTP program--it's a word processor. It's able to do
some DTP tasks in spite of itself--not because it was designed to do so.
QuarkXPress and PageMaker are DTP programs--designed from the git-go to
perform complex DTP tasks primarily, and can do word processing tasks in
spite of themselves. FrameMaker strikes me as a hybrid really, though it
seems like it tilts a little more toward the DTP side.
Also, DTP involves illustration. No one, in my opinion, uses one program
for DTP tasks because no one program typesets, processes, and illustrates
(as well as separate packages do).

So, for what I consider real actual DTP tasks, I choose to use QuarkXPress.
For word processing, I have to use MS Word.
For illustration, I choose Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop.

Eric Haddock ------ (temporary URL)
Engage Networks, Inc. --------
Technical writer in Milwaukee, WI

My dream: falling sugar instead of snow this winter

Previous by Author: FrameMaker Discrepancy
Next by Author: Re: Framemaker? (from techwr-l)
Previous by Thread: Re: Survey: Which DTP do you use?
Next by Thread: Re: Survey: Which DTP do you use?

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads