Re: Point zero or just point?

Subject: Re: Point zero or just point?
From: "Sisler, Paul J" <Paul -dot- J -dot- Sisler -at- CDEV -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 11:39:38 -0600

EH wrote:

Try as I might, I can't have section numbered 1.0 or just 1 (because
then subsequent headings become 11.1, 11.1.1, etc. Further mixing things up
is that I'm not allowed to number the headings myself--it has to be done by
Word which means relying on its auto numbering of headings function.

So, does having 1., 1.1., and 1.1.1. constitute a grammatical faux pas
or is it just a personal hang-up of mine that I want 1.0, 1.1, and 1.1.1?
Should I just let this go or pursue it further to insure grammatical
integrity?

-----------------------

The relevant Chicago 14th section is 1.77.

They say that 4.8 represents the 8th section of chapter 4. 4.12.3
represents the 3rd subsection of the 12th section of chapter four and so on.

They number their first section of each chapter 1. So Chapter 1 has a 1.1,
but no 1. or 1.0 or plain 1. Chapter 2 has 2.1, but no 2. anything and so
on.

Now, of course, anybody who would be interested enough and care enough to
look something like this up must be a technical writer and should probably
be advised to relax and go out to enjoy lunch, which is exactly what I plan
to do. ;-)

pjs