Re: VIRUS ALERT

Subject: Re: VIRUS ALERT
From: Simon North <snorth -at- TEDOPRES -dot- NL>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 16:16:15 WET

This so-called virus surfaces every three months or so. It goes under
various names, among them the 'good times' virus. It's been annoying
the life out of me for more years than I can remember. There is NO
SUCH virus, there never was, and there probably never will be. The
virus is in fact the warning message which then, without being unkind
to all the well-intentioned souls that copy it, appear in every
mailing list, usenet group and e-mail in-box that you can think of.
Before you know it, you have 200 of these d**n little warnings!

Apart from MS-Word 'viruses' which simply rename or corrupt a few of
the features of Word that are accessible to a Word Basic script,
there is absolutely no way for a virus to be contained in anything
but executable code (such as an EXE, COM, DLL, OCX file).

Simon North FISTC; Documentation Engineer, postmaster & webmaster
Tedopres International BV, The Netherlands
snorth -at- tedopres -dot- nl ---- http://tedopres.digi.nl
north -at- direct -dot- iaf -dot- nl OR north -at- knoware -dot- nl
http://heron.tc.clarkson.edu/notices/RESUMES/NORTH_SIMON.JOHN.HTML