Point zero or just point?

Subject: Point zero or just point?
From: Eric Haddock <eric -at- ENGAGENET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 11:21:56 -0600

Which is correct--or is it a matter of preference?

"1.0" or "1."

The context is headings in user manuals. It has been mandated that I
number the headings in our user manuals. This is fine, I don't have a
problem with that. What is troublesome is that the application I _have_ to
use to do the manuals is, <sigh> MS Word 7.0 for W95. This lovely program
numbers headings thusly:

1.
1.1.
1.1.1.

Try as I might, I can't have section numbered 1.0 or just 1 (because
then subsequent headings become 11.1, 11.1.1, etc. Further mixing things up
is that I'm not allowed to number the headings myself--it has to be done by
Word which means relying on its auto numbering of headings function.

So, does having 1., 1.1., and 1.1.1. constitute a grammatical faux pas
or is it just a personal hang-up of mine that I want 1.0, 1.1, and 1.1.1?
Should I just let this go or pursue it further to insure grammatical
integrity?

(Or, if someone can pass along some helpful info regarding how to make
Word do what I want, that would be keen too.)

Eric Haddock ------ http://personal.pitnet.net/moonlion (temporary URL)
Engage Networks, Inc. -------- http://www.engagenet.com
Technical writer in Milwaukee, WI

My dream: falling sugar instead of snow this winter