Re: Extended lists (#150971)

Subject: Re: Extended lists (#150971)
From: wburns -at- MICRON -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 10:18:34 MST

Beth clarifies her request using an example:

> | (virtual left margin)
> |

> Here is a paragraph.

> o Here is an outdented bullet item.

> o Here is a flush left bullet.

> o Here is an indented bullet item.

> Here is a paragraph.

> | (virtual left margin)
> |

>(This will look very screwy if you are not reading mail with a fixed width
> font like Courier.)

>In all cases, text wraps under the "H" in "Here."

>I'm wondering if there is any rationale for the outdented bullet item.

To me, the alignment with "outdented" list items is quite busy and
distracting. In addition, lists are supposed to show the subordination
of one concept or element to another. Given this framework, placing a bullet
outside of the alignment of the element to which a list item is supposed to be
subordinate seems counterintuitive to me.

Bill Burns
Assembly Documentation Supervisor
wburns -at- micron -dot- com
This message brought to you by W.A.S.T.E.
and your local potsmaster.